squamish bed bug
There are several nonchemical measures that can help prevent infestations:
- Trim tree branches and shrubs away from structures to prevent access;
- Seal off potential entry points such as where utility lines enter a structure;
- Reduce mulch around building perimeters to a depth of 2 to 3 inches to discourage nesting;
- Eliminate any earth-to-wood contact of structural elements that might promote wood decay;
- Replace decayed or damaged wood and correct problems that cause decay such as clogged rain gutters or leaky pipes;
- Increase ventilation to damp areas such as attic or subfloor spaces;
- Store firewood off the ground and several feet away from structures; and
- Remove potential food sources inside a structure and store them in tightly sealed containers.
Most carpenter ant inspections and perimeter treatments start at around $100 bucks. Thanks!
More questions and comments this week included one on the bedbug life, there feeding cycle and a comment that bedbugs is two words.
1) Bed BUGS:
Merriam-Webster, Oxford and most online dictionaries list it as one, however careful review of entomology bring us this fact:
Bed bugs is TWO words – not one. The general rule for writing out common names of insects is as follows. If the insect name is a misnomer (e.g., the dragonfly is NOT a fly and neither is a damselfly), then the whole name is written as one word. If it is not a misnomer, then it is written as two words (e.g., house fly, which is a real fly). The bed bug is a “true” bug and therefore is two words.
There ya go bugsters!!
2) Bed BUG life:
Females can deposit 3 to 8 eggs at a time, they hatch in 4-12 days, and lay 200-500 eggs in their lifetime
Feeding occurs every 5-10days and maturity is 35 to 48 days. By feeding and in optimal conditions their lives are actually shorter with a total estimated lifespan of under 7months.
Please feel free to hit us up with any more questions/comments or concerns you may have and remember early detection is key: the adults are pretty large, odds of getting them are very low and increase slightly if you are travelling lots. Most Whistler hotels and vacation rentals have preventative measures in place and if we are not already setup on a program there we are always happy to come take a look.